Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five


I was expecting my first child a year ago.  Being the person I am, I've spent countless hours reading and researching about pregnancy, parenting, and caring for a newborn.  Brain Rules for Baby is the first book that my husband and I both read that has substantiated scientific research for why we should do things instead of just what.  It has provided me immeasurably valuable information for when that baby arrives.  The book is based on hard science and bases its suggestions on findings from major scientific studies.  Its easy to read and provides summaries at the end of each chapter that highlight the key points.  This is a great resource for findings in the latest research in developmental psychology. Medina really breaks it down for you. He discusses, and applies, studies that have monitored how experience in early childhood can affect the later years of your child. Medina even takes into account studies that are not focused on infants, but in young adults, to prove his points on how the brain absorbs information.  Until this day, I still go back for references.  This one is a winner, I highly recommend to get this book. If you can't afford it, Brain Rules for Baby is available in most public libraries. Good luck, but most of all, have fun.  Thank you so much for reading.
If you are interested, check out his website with a short video from John Medina. http://brainrules.net/brain-rules-for-baby

No comments:

Post a Comment